Cedric Gracia vince la Red Bull Rampage 2003

• Cannondale presenta la nuova Scalpel, la sua bici biammortizzata da cross country che adesso ha 120 millimetri di escursione anteriore e posteriore in tutte le sue versioni. Sembra che sia cambiato poco, a prima vista, ma sono i dettagli che fanno la differenza e che rendono questa Scalpel 2024 nettamente più performante del modello precedente.
    Iscriviti al canale se non l'hai ancora fatto (clicca qui).

marco

Not
Membro dello Staff
Diretur
29/10/02
Monte Bar
www.mtb-mag.com
TC
KM Percorsi
Bike
Diverse
World's best freeride mountain bike event brings best freeriders to Virgin, Utah
Cedric Gracia grabs first place in the finals at the third annual Red Bull Rampage

Virgin, Utah – October 19, 2002 – Twenty-seven of the world’s most progressive mountain bike free-riders competed at the third annual Red Bull Rampage at the Kolob Reservoir this past weekend. Athletes traveled from as far as Australia, Czechoslovakia and Canada to participate in the two-day downhill free-riding event. Throughout the weekend hundreds of spectators were hypnotized by the skills of these young riders who repeatedly hucked themselves down intimidating 25 foot plus vertical drops - sticking hip jumps, olies and 360’s in the burly terrain, just outside of Zion National Park. The competitors took turns climbing the red colored mountain side and then aggressively charging down the variety of difficult lines from the 1,500 foot high starting gate. On the final event day, French native Cedric Gracia, (now living in Whistler, Canada) took home first place and walked away with a piece of the $10,000 prize purse.

“I think I ran faster than the first run and then I pulled a back flip. It was great. It was definitely challenging. This event makes you want to buy a bike and go out riding the next day,” said a boastful Gracia after being named the victor.

Second place went to Andrew Shandro from B.C., Canada who stomped a daunting 25 foot drop off the right ridge. Third place went to a surprised Glyn O’Brien from Newry, Ireland who stuck an olie after pulling off a clean gap jump.

“I was about to pack the bike away when I figured what the hell, I might as well see who won,” said O’Brien in response to being asked how it felt to take home the third place win.

Confident riders know no limits - At the beginning of each morning the cold chill in the air quickly turned to a hot blazing afternoon as the Utah sun rose over the desert mountains. During the practice days, the camaraderie among the riders was strong; there was a distinct sense of respect for one another and the course. As the days continued, morale stayed high but the competition among the riders became intensified as they attempted to out do each other with varied line selection and technically challenging tricks. All of the twenty-seven riders scrutinized the various terrain, strategizing and carving their perfect line that they hoped would bring them their winning victory. After two qualifying runs on day one, twelve riders moved into the finals on day two, determined to impress the judges and push their abilities to the next level.

“My foot popped out (off the pedal), but I nailed the big drop at the bottom and it was bigger than the first time. I’m glad I’m done, I’m stoked,“ said a proud Andrew Shandrow when asked how his final run compared to his earlier run of the day.

The panel of judges attempted to isolate and identify the best overall free-rider on the best of the rider’s two runs within a five minute time limit. Each rider was scored in the following categories: degree of difficulty/line, control/style, fluidity, and amplitude/air.

Honorable mentions - The third annual Red Bull Rampage has evolved into the icon event of free-ride mountain biking. The rugged terrain proved once again to be even more challenging than past years according to athletes and judges.

”This has been the hardest Rampage ever. Even from the first year, this year has been a lot more mental. I think the level of competition was just so much bigger. This whole event has become such an icon and people really want to make a good impression. We’re here and I guess this is why people think we’re the top in the world. It has been just intense, but just a great event,” said a fatigued Mike Kinrade of B.C., Canada who finished 8th in the event.

“It was really good. It’s all fun and amazing,” said Greg Minaar of South Africa, who finished 7th.

A proud Thomas Vanderham also of B.C., Canada, finished 6th and said of his placing, “I was going really, really good till the end. I chose a harder line, tricked the gap and stuck every-thing right till the end. Unfortunately my bike fell down the last drop, a little bit disappointing, but I had a good first run so I’ll still be in the top ten.”

As the dust settled from the event, spectators and athletes left tired but full of excitement that they had just been a part of a pivotal piece of free-riding history that evolves the sport of free-ride mountain biking further. All were ready to do it all over again next year.

2003 Red Bull Rampage prize purse breakdown
Place Name Prize Score
1st Cedric Gracia $3,500 88.8
2nd Andrew Shandro $2,200 84.8
3rd Glyn O’Brien $1,200 79.4
4th Michael Marosi $800 77.6
5th Steve Romaniuk $600 77.2
6th Thomas Vanderham $400 76.4
7th Greg Minnaar $300 76.2
8th Mike Kinrade $200 73.6
9th Greg Smith $200 70.2
10th Kyle Richey $200 70.2
11th Richie Schley $200 60.4
12th Joe Schwartz $200 DNF

Per altre info e foto vedere: http://www.bike-board.net/community/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8680

marco

Not
Membro dello Staff
Diretur
29/10/02
Monte Bar
www.mtb-mag.com
TC
KM Percorsi
Bike
Diverse
(Comnicato stampa) - Shandro and Gracia: Silver and Gold at Red Bull Rampage

The Red Bull Rampage, more than any other single event in mountain biking, has the ability to turn a relatively unknown rider with the right set of skills into an international rockstar. So what do you do when this year’s winner, Cedric Gracia (Cannondale/Siemens/Manitou), is not an unknown, but rather un peur du star de rock et roll himself? Maybe you bump all of that instant fame and notoriety on down the line to silver medalist Andrew Shandro, save that Shandro (Manitou/Trek/Shimano/etc) is a bit of a veteran on the ‘Shore, a pioneer who now gives back to the sport by hosting camps for younger riders at the Whistler Bike Park.

Hmm, what a quandary…at least they both ride for Manitou.

It has been somewhat dismissively written since the event (held just last weekend) that all it took was a back flip from Cedric to win. Well yeah…a back flip in the second of two very technical and flawless runs was enough to take the win. In his first run, Cedric also speedily and stylishly landed some huge drops before his no hander over one of the larger and more popular gaps. He then went on to effortlessly land the “Leap of Faith,” a colossal drop over a gap with a narrow off camber landing pad. Only two riders successfully negotiated der Leap all day.

Where Cedric wowed the crowd with his virtuosic tricks and style, however, Andrew Shandro (an underdog to some of the younger risk takers going into the event) nabbed his silver with a very original, very technical line executed with trademark flow and precision. As if that wasn’t enough, Shandro’s run culminated in a series of two gi-normous drops on a section of the course that none of the riders (except for Thomas Vanderham, a close friend of Shandro’s who wrecked trying to duplicate the feat) even attempted. It was another defining moment in Shandro’s already distinguished career.

Also of note was current World DH Champion Greg Minnaar’s (Haro-Lee Dungarees/Manitou) excellent 7th place finish in his first ever Red Bull contest. Notable riders not attending the competition due to injury included Tyler Klassen and Darren Berrecloth, each an explosive talent in their own right.

Not a race, nor a “big air” nor “best trick” competition, the Rampage is a combination of the three contested over natural terrain in the cliff-strewn canyons between Virgin, Utah and Zion National Park. Considered the world’s premier freeride competition, the Red Bull Rampage never fails to push the limits of what is thought possible on a mountain bike. Riders are scored on the degree of difficulty/chosen line, control/style, fluidity, and amplitude/air.

Answer Products and Manitou Suspension would like to congratulate all of its riders on their efforts this weekend. Answer Products Inc. is proud to offer its talent a complete line of high-performance bicycle products: Manitou suspension forks and shocks, Answer BMX, Answer components, and Answer Shoes. For information on any of Answer’s competition proven designs, visit www.answerproducts.com.

marco

Not
Membro dello Staff
Diretur
29/10/02
Monte Bar
www.mtb-mag.com
TC
KM Percorsi
Bike
Diverse
michel marosi in volo :shock: :